Allerton Deanery

The Parish of Bardsey is part of the Deanery of Allerton, in the North East quarter of Leeds, and is one of four deaneries within the Archdeanery of Leeds. The others are Armley, Headingley and Whitkirk.   Of these four deaneries, Allerton has the greatest contrasts.  In the north are semi-rural communities and the most prosperous suburbs of Leeds; whilst in the south there are densely populated areas of economic deprivation.  Allerton Deanery also contains a wide range of racial, religious and cultural diversity, as successive waves of immigration have brought Jewish people, people of Afro-Caribbean origins, and more recently people from Asia and Eastern Europe. 

The Churches of the Deanery with dates of building/opening

All Hallows, Bardsey

9th Century

Holy Trinity, Leeds City

1727

Leeds Minister

1841

Saint Paul, Shadwell

1842

Saint John the Evangelist, Moor Allerton

Moor Allerton and Shadwell Team

1853

Saint Mary Magdalene, East Keswick

1857

All Souls, Little London

1880

Saint Martin, Potternewton

1881

Saint Agnes, Burmantofts

1889

Saint Aidan, Harehills

1894

Saint Matthew, Chapel Allerton

1900

Saint Edmund, Roundhay

1909

Saint Wilfrid, Harehills

1929

Epiphany, Gipton

1938

Saint Stephen, Moor Allerton

1954

Saint Cyprian with St James, Harehills

1959

Saint Barnabas, Alwoodley

1962

Oakwood Church - includes,

Saint John, Roundhay and Roundhay Methodist Church